Job Title: Design Engineer
Reporting to: Design Manager/Senior Design Engineer
Department: Custom Made Design Team
Purpose of the Position: Working closely with the Design Manager to create innovative, robust and sustainable design solutions following the best engineering design principles. Key to delivering project and client-specific lighting solutions that meet and exceed customers’ needs.
- Complete medium-scale complex projects in strict adherence to the requirements of the SPD Gate process.
- Design and develop a product/solution that meets all aspects of the project specification within the required timescale.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding and effectively communicate the rationale behind project specifications, challenging requirements where necessary.
- Deliver effective and commercially viable design solutions with the help of FMEA ensuring the safety and reliability of all products.
- Accurately complete all relevant documentation to support all design solutions.
- Use appropriate design tools (i.e. sketches, hand-made models, prototypes and 3D CAD) to help communicate solutions clearly and efficiently.
- Create accurate CAD, ERP and PLM data following best practice.
- Create accurate costed bill of materials for all new product design.
- Review the cost point of each design as it progresses and evaluate its impact. Reporting any chances to the relevant stakeholders.
- Produce production capable components and assemblies. Performing research on product technologies and structures to implement into design concept.
- Continuously improve on existing production designs and processes where possible, identifying and effectively implementing any improvements.
- Continuously review product installation methodologies creating innovative solutions with supporting samples and installation leaflet. Ensuring a safe and easy experience for our customers.
- Identify and resolve problems by following a process to determine root cause. Implementing corrective action that ensures the problem does not return.
- Maintain up to date knowledge on current industry trends and market conditions.
- Commercially aware of competitors products and remain up to date on market trends.
Specific Skill Requirements:
Essential Educational/Technical Skills:
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
- +2yrs industry experience delivering products from concept to customer. Delivering robust design solutions on time to specification and within cost and budget constraints.
- Experience of creating 3D CAD following best practice guidelines, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical/electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.
- Good level of understanding of Microsoft office namely Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience of applying practical tools (sketch, calcs, handmade, 3D prototypes) to create fit for purpose prototypes for test purposes and review.
- Sound understanding of mechanical and physical principles.
- Ability to drive development of products and technologies through prototyping and testing.
- Understanding and practical application of design wheel / design processes.
- Good knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
Desirable Educational/Technical Skills:
- Experience using Solid Edge and Teamcenter
- Experience developing products within the light industry.
Essential Behavioural Skills:
- Effective communication.
- Interpersonal/Team work.
- Problem Solving.
- Effective Leadership.